If you’ve been following along here, you know that I’ve committed not to buy any new clothing in 2014, and instead only to buy second hand or to make my own. And last week I made the fourth item in my Sewing Odyssey project! To make the dress, I used Ed Emberley’s “Scribbles” fabric in black on white with Marikmekko fabric on the pockets (I get scraps of Marimekko fabric at the Crate and Barrel Outlet in Berkeley, CA). My necklace is by the amazingly talented Emily Green.
I used Sonya Philip’s Dress #2 Pattern. You may recall that I wrote a few times about Sonya’s 100 Acts of Sewing Project back in 2012. Sonya is a huge inspiration to me, not only for her dress project, but in life in general. Someday I hope to be as prolific, talented and innovative at the sewing machine as she is!
Sonya’s Dress #2 pattern is a very simple pattern; unlike the first dress I made (which had gussets on the sides) this one has just a front and back, two sleeves and two pockets. It requires about 2.5-3 yards of fabric. The sleeves were a tiny bit tricky to fit perfectly in the armholes, but with patience you’ll get them. It was also recommended to me after I sewed the dress not to sew the sides of the dress until the sleeves are fitted in so that you can get a perfect, pucker-free fit where sleeves and armholes meet. I recommend if you’ve never sewn a dress with sleeves before to start with Sonya’s Dress Pattern #1, which is sleeveless (also available in her shop).
In the end, it’s a bit more of a tunic than a dress (to wear with leggings or pants underneath), but that’s just what I like, so I am very happy with it! I think if I make this dress again, I might play around with length and also adjusting the sleeves so they flare a bit more at the ends.
Next month, I’m going to make a skirt by drafting my own pattern. I’m taking Cal Patch’s amazing pattern drafting class on Creativebug, and am so excited about beginning to make clothes that fit my specific measurements.
Have a great Monday!